
Sitting on the floor alone,
With a worn photo album
On my lap,
Remembering.
Flip, flip, flip.
The quiet, gentle piano music flowing
In the background
Brings back memories of high-school years.
Flip, flip, flip,Three girls, arms linked, and jumping
on the warm sand of the beach
at twilight, the sun falling off the edge of the photo;
Summer: 1999
Flip, flip, flip,
A dark haired girl
And boy
Smiling hugely,
While blowing big balloons
For a party;
Lacey’s 16th birthday, me and Adam: 2000
Flip, flip, flip,Family and friends
All in black,
As if the photo were covered in a shadow;
Car crash, parents, November 8: 2002
New family and friends,
Me in white,
Him in black,
Waiting for me at the altar with a huge smile and warming eyes;
Wedding, April 15: 2005
Sitting on the floor alone,
With a photo album
On my lap,
Remembering.
Flip, flip, flip.
Reflection:
I was thinking about what college I would be going to and about spring break and summer time and I thought to write about when I would be in college and thinking about high school. I would remember those events that mean so much right now and would seem silly after a while. I would remember my favorite moments with my friends during spring break and summer. The car crash thing didn’t really happen, but the energy I was getting from the poem kind of needed a huge thing to happen, so I decided to put something sad in to make it dramatic. I think it’s important to remember the sad moments of life as well as the happy ones, which is why I decided to add the part about the parents dying. That sort of symbolizes the sad things in life that we can’t change, but have changed us. In college, I think the only thing that will keep me alive is the memories from high school and before. I don’t want to forget anything that happened in high school, and my way of documenting that is through photography. You can capture a perfect moment and sort of re-live it, or just remember it later with pictures.
I enjoy the photographs that correspond to your sonnet.
ReplyDeleteEach word creates an image and makes the reader visualize.
Great sonnet!